MEDIA RELEASE - Tattersalls Stakes winners' quotes
WINNERS’ QUOTES LA BARROSA BATTLES TO REMAIN UNBEATEN IN TWO STARTS
1st LA BARROSA 4/7F Trainer: Charlie Appleby Jockey: William Buick Owner: Godolphin Breeder: Knocktoran Stud
2nd DARK LION 16/1 Trainer: Roger Varian Jockey: David Egan Owner: HH Shaikh Nasser Al Khalifa & Partner Breeder: Succ Moratalla/A Chevalierdufau/Ph Henry
3rd QAADER Trainer: Mark Johnston Jockey: Jim Crowley Owner: Hamdan Al Maktoum Breeder: Ms Patricia Walsh
Distances: 1, ¾
Winning time: 1:25.29s
Key statistics and information:
· La Barrosa is a graduate of Book 1 of the Tattersalls October Yearling Sale, having been purchased at Park Paddocks last year for 750,000gns;
· This was a first win in the race for Charlie Appleby and William Buick and the first for Godolphin since Maftool in 2014;
· The winner is the second odds-on favourite in as many seasons to oblige, with Wichita having landed odds of 10/11 last year;
· La Barrosa’s dam, Bikini Babe, finished fifth in a 10f Listed race at the Rowley Mile in October 2010;
· The colt was trimmed in the betting for next year’s QIPCO 2000 Guineas by bet365 at 25/1 from 33/1.
What they said: Charlie Appleby, trainer of La Barrosa
“I was quite pleased to see where he was because it helped the horse get into a nice rhythm. William got the pitch where he was and he showed a bit of class – when the gap came, he quickened up. He’s still learning and was still quite raw out there, he’s a nice horse going forward. I think if we take the right steps with him, I think he’s going to be a really nice three-year-old.
“It’s a long winter but it’s nice to have those dreams [on La Barrosa’s QIPCO 2000 Guineas prospects].
It helps shorten it up a bit.”